Alternatives to beef burgers are popping up at all the trendy restaurants. From turkey to fish or quinoa to beans, there are a ton of substitutes for the good old beef burger – and they’re downright delicious.
While black beans many not your first choice as a replacement for beef, they can be seasoned to taste almost like the real thing. They also contain a whopping 16 grams of protein and 13 grams of fibre per cup! Since most men and women don’t regularly meet their fibre requirements, substituting a bean burger is an easy way to up your intake of fiber while cutting back on saturated fat. This recipe also includes quinoa for a filling, hearty patty.
Enjoy! And leave your comments below!
Source: Canadian Nutrient File
Quinoa & black bean burger with a smoky avocado spread
Skill level: easy
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Servings: 5-6 burgers
For the black bean and quinoa burgers:
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 2 cups of canned black beans (remember to rinse thoroughly)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Toasted whole grain buns for serving
For the smoky avocado spread:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 plum tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Cooking your quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, turmeric, cumin, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. When the ingredients are well combined (mashed), add in the quinoa and combine. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Form the mixture into patties. Depending on how big or small you make them, you should get around 5-7 patties. Transfer the patties to a plate, cover and refrigerate while you are preparing your avocado spread or until you are ready to use (they will keep for about 3-4 days).
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the cakes (maybe 3-4 at a time depending on the size of your pan) turning over once it has browned (about 5-7 minutes per side).
Make Avocado Spread:
- In a bowl, mash the avocado until it is smooth. Add in the tomato, smoked paprika, red pepper (if using), season with salt and pepper and combine.
Serve: immediately on a toasted bun, or bread with the avocado spread.