Coffee cup with cancelled sign on it
ILLUSTRATION: JAIME STRAND

Surviving university without coffee: can it be done?

By: Negin Khodayari 

H

ere we go again! It’s a new semester which means a lot of caffeine intake for most students. But what if you don’t want to spend all your money on drinks from Starbucks? Or maybe your new year’s resolution is to finally stop drinking coffee, I know that’s been on my list for years. Unfortunately, coffee can have some dangerous side effects. So for those of you who are trying to have a healthier 2020 and survive university without coffee, here are some alternatives to keep you awake on those deadline-packed days.

1. Chai

Yes, chai does contain caffeine, however, it’s a smaller dosage compared to coffee.

Chai is a type of black tea mixed in with different herbs and spices. 

You can even make a chai tea latte by adding milk or your favorite non-dairy alternative instead of water.

At Ryerson we have the convenience of a DAVIDsTEA just a couple minutes from campus, located at 10 Dundas St. East, where you can buy chai.

2. Lemon Water

Though at first this may not sound like the most tempting beverage, it’s caffeine-free and provides plenty of vitamin C. 

Vitamin C is an antioxidant which helps boost your immune system and is essential to creating collagen—a protein that builds structure for your skin, tendons and ligaments.

A glass of lemon water in the morning is a refreshing way to start your day and get a boost of vitamins.

For added flavour, you could pop in some more fruit or herbs – berries, mint, cucumbers or anything else you like. 

3. Matcha Tea

Much like chai, matcha also contains caffeine, however, not as much as a cup of coffee.

Aside from its unique flavour, matcha has many health benefits.

It’s packed with antioxidants, helps boost metabolism and burns calories.

Matcha also provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium.

4. Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar is a caffeine-free alternative to coffee which can help lower your blood sugar levels.

You could mix in a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in your water for a boost of energy.

It’s very important to dilute the vinegar before drinking it, as it’s very acidic and can burn your throat. 

5. Flaxseed Shake

Flaxseed is high in fibre, healthy fats and antioxidants. 

The nutrients in flaxseed may help reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

To make a delicious shake, you could mix the flaxseed with yogurt, your favourite milk product, ice, and any frozen fruit of your choice. 

As a bonus, this shake will fill you up and give you energy to make it through the day!

It can be done!

So there you go, it’s not impossible to find healthy alternatives to coffee. 

Some of these flavours may take some getting used to, but if you’re determined, you’ll be feeling more awake, without coffee, in no time!