Photo of the bridge between Kerr Hall and RCC on Gould Street that says Ryerson University.
Photo: Jimmy Kwan
All Campus News COVID-19 News

BREAKING: Ryerson increasing in-person classes for fall semester, full return by winter 2022

By Thea Gribilas

Ryerson president Mohamed Lachemi announced Wednesday that the university will be using the fall 2021 semester as a “transition period” to prepare for a full return to campus in the winter 2022 semester.

Courses that require in-person instruction or access to campus resources will be prioritized and residences will be open with increased capacity. 

“This fall will be a period of transition as we begin to increase the number of on-campus classes and activities in order to be prepared for a full return to all activities on campus in January 2022,” the statement reads.

Lachemi added that the university “remains committed to following all directives and regulations from provincial and federal governments,” as well as local health agencies.

During the fall semester, the number of on-campus courses will be “significantly expanding,” although many courses will still be offered remotely. No specific numbers were provided in the update.

The statement also said that for students who can’t come to campus, remote learning will be made available to them. 

“Students in programs that are not able to offer in-person learning, and/or students who are not able to come to campus can expect to be provided with remote learning options for the fall semester,” the statement reads.

In the fall, more student services will be opening with both in-person and remote options.

The Sheldon & Tracy Levy Student Learning Centre will be open with limited capacity, along with the library and scholarly research and creative activities. No capacity limits were provided. 

While some experiential learning will continue remotely, there will be more in-person opportunities made available to students, including co-ops and internships. 

The Mattamy Athletic Centre and the Recreation and Athletic Centre are also expected to open by the fall. 

In the statement, Lachemi said that because of the “shifting landscape” of the pandemic, “there will be on-going updates from the university and faculties throughout the summer months.”

“All faculty members should continue to work with their deans for increased in-person academic programming for fall 2021 wherever possible,” the statement reads.

The statement also said the safety and well-being of the Ryerson community is driving the university’s plans for the fall semester.

“Prioritizing who is on campus helps support the safety of those who are required to be there,” Lachemi said.