News

New prez is a Man of Steele

By Graeme Smith

Steele was so stressed he stayed away from The Ram in the Rye until just before final results for the RyeSAC executive election were posted.

“I thought I’d be the one having to do the gracious defeat,” said the victorious fifth-year theatre production student. “I’ve been nervous for the last three weeks.”

Steele, RyeSAC’s VP administration, received 475 votes, beating runner-up Steven Wright by more than 100 votes.

This year, 1,453 students came out to vote, 11 per cent of the student body, beating last year’s turnout of 782 voters.

Wright made a swift exit after Steele was name winner.

Other candidates congratulated Steele. “Ryerson is lucky to have David Steele. He’ll be a great president,” said Michael Speers, who came in last.

“I’m sure David will do a good job,” agreed Lionel Poizner, who placed third.

Jude Shawera placed fourth.

In the vice-presidential positions, Vladimir Vasilko won the night’s closest race to claim the VP finance and development position.

“It’s beautiful,” said Vasilko. “I’m so happy so many people came out and voted.”

The VP administration race made Jason Power “feel outstanding” as he romped his way to victory over Vladimir Spivak.

VP education-elect Erin George also won handily, defeating frosh candidate Owen Ferguson. “I’m so excited, I can’t wait to get started.”

Steele is already gearing up to take over the job of his current boss, Angelo DeLuca.

He plans to publicize student’s academic appeal cases to pressure departments into being fair, because he said some faculty make false accusations or tell students they have the last say on issues they can actually appeal.

“These are crazy, crazy things,” he said. “It’s totally unacceptable.”

Steele also plans to revamp the instructor evaluation process, hopefully with the support of administration. “It’s going to be more than a three minute shade-in-the-dot-of-your-choice process.”

If administration won’t help change the process, Steele wants RyeSAC to set up their own evaluation.

His first post-election step will be to promote the idea of a student centre before a March referendum asks student whether they want to go ahead with the project.