High art for low price

By Kareen Madian

I was at the Eaton Centre one afternoon during a six-hour break between classes and I thought to myself: I shouldn’t be here.  I’m a student with no money.  Then it came to me — art.  What better way to release myself from the pressures of school than to observe the frustrations of some up-and-coming artists?

The Power Plant — 231 Queens Quay W.

The Power Plant showcases contemporary art and is situated on the Lakeshore, one of Toronto’s most beautiful areas.  The gallery is open 12 to 6 p.m. Tuesday to Sunday.

I walked in and asked the gentleman inside how much the entrance fee was.  To my delight he quoted a student price of $2.  I asked him if he needed to see my student card, but he took my word for it.  I guess my overloaded knapsack tipped him off, but I’d suggest taking your student card with you just in case — unless you go on a Wednesday, when admission is free from 5 to 8 p.m.

Showing at the Power Plant is American Playhouse: The Theatre of Self Presentation, which runs until Dec. 20.  The show is filled with images of people dressed in clothes that vary from jeans and a T-shirt to elaborate costumes with headpieces and props.

Mercer Union — 439 King St. W.

Mercer Union is an artist-run gallery at 439 King St. W.  Their current show is composed of installations by various artists.  Installations are works of art in which the artists has incorporated the space or room in which the work is presented into the piece itself.  In other words, the room in which the work is in is as important as the work itself.  The gallery is open from 11 to 6 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.  It is free to the public, but they do recommend a dollar donation.

Toronto Sculpture Garden — 115 King St. E.

If sculpture is your thing you can take a walk on over to the Toronto Sculpture Garden.  There you will find work by artist Mary Anne Barkhouse and Michael Belmore.  The show, titled Lichen, consists of installations depicting the resilience of nature.

A Space Gallery — 401 Richmond St. W.

The A Space gallery is currently running a show entitled Spirited Away containing work by two artists.  It runs until Dec. 5 Gallery house are Tuesday to Friday from 11 to 6 p.m. and Saturday 12 to 5 p.m.

Susan Hobbs Gallery — 137 Tecumseth St.

Susan Hobbs Gallery is featuring an installation of new work by artist Susan Chow. T he show runs until Nov. 28 and is also in the contemporary style.  The gallery is located at 137 Tecumseth St. and is open Thursday to Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.

The Wynick-Tuck Gallery — 80 Spadina Ave.

The Wynick-Tuck Gallery is located inside a large warehouse called 80 Spadina, which contains several little galleries (including the Ryerson Gallery!) that are all free to the public.  Wynick-Tuck is featuring new paintings by artist Guido Molinari.  The contemporary paintings are executed in a formal style.  Wynick-Tuck is open 11 to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday.

Cold City Gallery — 686 Richmond St. W.

Cold City Gallery is running artist Gerry Madlung’s C.Y.M., which runs until Dec. 5.  The gallery is open Wednesday to Saturday from 1 to 6 p.m.

Gallery One — 121 Scollard St.

Gallery One is featuring renowned artist Peter Beard until November 24.  The gallery, located in the Yorkville area, is open from 10:30 to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday and until 8 p.m. Thursday.