Sports

Bill Crowdis expected back with men this week

By Steve Petrick

The only sport Bill Crowdis and the men’s basketball team is playing right now is a waiting game.

Crowdis, an OUA first-team all-star from last year, is waiting to see if he gets the go-ahead from the school’s registrar office this week to return to the team for his second season.

Although the six-foot-seven forward is eligible under CIAU rules, Ryerson administrators want to ensure students are getting good grades while they play varsity sports.

The team will get a huge boost if Crowdis is able to suit up for the Rams’ OUA regular-season home opener against York on Friday, as expected.

With players fighting through injuries and illnesses, the team limped to a 1-4 preseason record against university teams.

Even with Crowdis back no one, including coach Terry Haggerty, expects the team to repeat last year’s 17-3 regular-season record.

Ben Gorham and Sam Gilbert, OUA second-team all stars from last year, have departed, and are being replaced by players who are fresh out of high school.

“Our team will be more similar to two years ago,” Haggerty said, referring to the squad that went 10-10 in the regular season and upset two teams in the playoffs to reach the national championship tournament. “It’s going to be a building process, especially since we’ve had some injuries,” he said. “As the season goes on we’re going to keep getting better.”