Sports

Men split weekend series

By Noah Love

Ryerson’s men’s basketball team overcame a slow start against the Bishop’s Gaiters, Nov. 17 to pull off a 79-72 win.

But the next night, the Rams’ inability to score early in the game cost them, as the Laval Rouge et Or built a lead they would not relinquish and won with a final score of 77-73.

The Rams’ OUA league record is now 3-1, good for second place in the eight-team OUA East Division.

This Saturday, Ryerson heads to Kingston to take on the Queen’s Golden Gaels (1-3), the team the upset the Rams in the division semifinal game last year.

Although the playoff loss to Queen’s ruined Ryerson’s 17-3 regular-season record and a shot at a national championship tournament appearance in Halifax, Ryerson coach Terry Haggerty isn’t glamorizing the rematch.

“They have a different lineup and so do we,” Haggerty said. “That loss is old history.”

The team will have to do without its most experienced player in the game.

Fourth-year forward Sasha Ivankovic won’t suit up on Saturday so he can nurse his sprained wrist.

“I’m not playing until I’m healthy,” Ivankovic said after Saturday’s game against Laval. “I need this wrist to heal because right now it’s not worth playing.”

On Sunday the Rams play the newest team in the OUA East Division, the Royal Military College of Canada Paladins. Their next home game is Thursday, Nov. 30 against U of T.