Sports

Rye swim team aims to stroke past Trent

By George Nassios

The Ram’s swim team is confident it can swim laps around Trent University swimmers when the two sides dive into Ryerson’s pool Saturday for the first dual meet held here in more than a decade.

“We beat York,” said Greg Sherry, a fourth-year computer science student in his second year on the team, “and we’re going to beat Trent next week.”

Powered by freshman Chris Nightingale, the Rams beat the York Yeoman 82-70 in a dual meet last month at York University, marking the Rams’ first-ever win against the Yeomen. Nightingale impressed his coach Victor Delac with a second-place finish the meet’s 200-metre event.

“Nightingale is a middle-distance expert,” Delac said. “We’ve got new rookies coming in this year who are definitely going to add to the program. There’s a lot of third-year veterans on this team who understand my program.

“This year is a turning point as to where the team is going.”

The team’s list of returners is strengthened by David Quane, the only Ryerson swimmer who attended last year’s CIAU national championships.

Quande, who placed ninth in the 50-metre backstroke at the finals, expects to be back at the championship this year.

“I’ve been competing in swim meets since I was six years old,” the third-year aerospace engineering student said. “Hopefully I can get a medal in the Ontario finals this year.”

Quane’s current focus, however, is on beating Trent in a series of races that begin Saturday at 5:30 p.m.