Bank grants a celebration of nations

By Sandie Benitah

Ryerson’s international program struck gold last Wednesday after receiving a $700,000 endowment from Scotiabank.The gift will establish two scholarship funds for Canadian and international students at Ryerson.

Students coming from other countries will have access to the $500,000 Scotiabank Group International Student Scholarship Fund while Ryerson students wanting to study abroad will benefit from the $200,000 Scotiabank Group International Mobility Scholarship Fund.

Individual scholarships will range from $1,000 to $2,500, depending on the applicant’s grades.

Bruce Hurley, campaign director at Ryerson, said more money is going towards international students because of Scotiabank’s international presence.

The institution has more than 2,000 branches and offices in over 50 countries. Investing in these scholarships is a way of helping the places where they do business.

Hurley also says the cost is much higher for students coming to study in Canada.

“These scholarships will allow international students to benefit from Ryerson’s education while enhancing and benefiting their society,” he said.

Ryerson currently has 500 international students from 83 countries enrolled in its programs and about 100 students studying abroad.

Hurley said the money will be ready in time for the summer exchange students. Students will be accepted depending on academic standing, but the details are still being worked out.

“It is especially important in these times that our students learn and study together with their peers from around the world, and have the opportunity to study abroad if they wish,” said Ryerson President Claude Lajeunesse at the cheque presentation.

“All of our students benefit by having a strong contingent of international students on campus.”