Mix-up nixes Tamil student’s dance

By Emily Bowers

Ryerson has banned the Tamil Students’ Association from using a campus hall to hold their welcoming semi-formal after confusion with their event application.

RyeSAC’s campus groups coordinator Leatrice Spevack said Ryerson’s ancillary services department told her that the TSA would not be allowed to use room A250 to host a party for new students because too many people showed up to another event last January.

John Corallo, director of ancillary services is currently on sick leave and will be off work for about 10 days, his secretary said.

“I’ve never heard of a student group being banned,” Spevack said. The TSA applied to RyeSAC in early September to host their bash over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Spevack said RyeSAC wasn’t informed they couldn’t hold the party until right before the event, throwing a wrench in the TSA’s plans. A DJ had been booked, food ordered and 150 tickets were sold, said president Ganeshanathan Somasuntharam.

The problem stems from a semi-formal held last January when the group booked the same room for 200 people, but only secured a liquor license from the province for 100. When more than 100 showed up, they were in violation of the license.

And when they tried to apply again last month for this year’s party, RyeSAC was informed that the group was “banned” from the room, said Spevack.

The event was intended as a welcoming party for new Tamil students at Ryerson as well as students from other universities. Somasuntharam said the cancellation will reflect badly on them.

“We are students,” he said. “We don’t want to cause any trouble.” They hope to meet with Corallo in the next few weeks for an explanation.