News briefs for the week of Nov. 14, 2001

By The Eyeopener Staff

Money in the school of disability studies’ pocket

Ryerson’s school of disability studies received a $750,000 grant from RBC Foundation Nov. 8. Yje money will be used to establish the Ryerson RBC Financial Group Insitute for Disability Studies Research and Education. The school, which was founded in 1999, prepares graduates for jobs in direct care, management, community development, policy, planning and advocacy in the disability field.

RACA rises from the ashes

Ryerson African Caribbean Association is holding its first general meeting, after internal squabbling caused the group to disband in 1998. The reincarnated RACA will meet Wednesday, Nov. 14 at Oakham House, Room A/B at 6:15 p.m.

RACA and NSBE hold panel discussion in Jorgenson

The National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) in conjunction with the Ryerson African Caribbean Association (RACA) is hosting a panel discussion Nov. 15 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Entitled “Overcoming obstacles in the real world,” the speakers will discuss their challenges, accomplishments and tips for success in the working world. Speakers will include Denham Jolly, president and CEO of Flow 93.5FM, Stanley Julien, a senior manager at the Bank of Montreal, and Anver Saloojee, a Ryerson politics professor. The discussion takes place in Jorgenson Hall, room A-344.

HotJobs president to speak about jobs online.

The Business Students’ Association is hosting an information session for students about how to get jobs through the internet. Mike Boydell, GM and president of HotJobs Canada Inc. will speak about recruitment in today’s electronic world on Thursday Nov. 15 at 6:30 p.m. in Oakham House.