Like DVD for chocolate

By Marissa Stapley

Ryerson’s own 3Bone Audio Productions have already made history by compiling an audio DVD which will provide the highest quality surround sound.

On Wednesday, Nov. 28, they went one step further by proving that they know how to party too.

3Bone hosted a fundraiser called Choctails, at Club Inside, on Richmond Street, to cover their outstanding project costs.

A party including decadent chocolates, inventive cocktails and some bangin’ old-school hiphop, just seemed like a good way to raise funds for the group.

3Bone’s creative director, Jared Golberg, and his mom made the chocolate creations. He also decorated the venue, dusting sparkles along the bar and displaying the chocolate roses and martini glasses.

Some 250 revellers — mostly friends of the group — showed up.

“We had people dancing until 2:30 a.m. which is pretty wicked for a Wednesday,” said producer Reza Dahya.

The $10 cover, ($8 for students) got partiers chocolate and raffle tickets. Prizes like CDs, clothing and movie passes were provided by Big it Up clothing, The Q Store, Flow 93.5, HMV, Columbia Pictures and Edge 102.

Dahya said the event raised over $2,000 — enough to cover its cost, as well as DVD production costs like printing. 3Bone was also able to purchase an external SCSI computer hard drive needed to back up their recordings.

The group is working with artists such as Ivana Santilli, Maestro Fresh Wes, Half Full and the Pocket Dwellers to record an exciting and diverse mix of musical genres straight to the new format. The result is the highest possible surround sound quality available today.

The project, which began as a requirement for the students’ audio practicum class, has morphed into a full-time job with many promising opportunities including a tentative promotional distributing deal with Los Angeles-based recording company 5.1 Entertainment.

The purchase of a Tascam 24-bit hard disk recorder/ editor for the RTA program, enabled 3Bone to start recording the DVD.

3Bone’s endeavours have prompted the audio world to sit up and take notice. The group has been contacted by Professional Sound, a national music industry magazine. MTV Canada has expressed interest in doing a segment on Ivana Santilli, working with 3Bone. An article about the DVD was published on highfidelityreview.com last month.

3Bone is beginning to plan “Choctails 2.” Dahya says it will be held at the same venue, hopefully on a weekend. The students are also planning a concert featuring various artists from the DVD. The dates for these events will be announced.