All Communities News

CESAR orientation makes campus welcoming

Nadya Domingo

People who walked down Gould St. last Thursday evening may have caught a glimpse of the Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson’s (CESAR) orientation. They also might have received some love from students flashing heart symbols with their hands as they danced together in the street.

These moments marked Thursday evening as more than an average event – it was CESAR’s first-ever orientation.

Distance education, continuing education, off-campus, and part-time degree students came together to experience something beyond the hallways of Ryerson.

Gould Street, decorated with information tables, free meals, and a caricature booth, became a venue for discussion and mingling. Students saw that they are a part of a community beyond the walls of the classroom.

Irene Masinde, an undergraduate of the bachelor of science program, said she enjoyed the orientation as students felt part of a bigger picture.

“We don’t feel so isolated from Ryerson with this event,” she said. “It’s nice to stop and say hello to people, because now we’re sitting down and eating a meal together.”

However some students, like Sandra Mohammed, a public health student working towards a certification in occupational health, have lacked interest in attending the organization’s events.

This was her first time attending a CESAR celebration.

“I was never interested. I figured since it’s my last year, I might as well get involved now,” she said.

The student also explained that some find it difficult to come to CESAR events because of commitments elsewhere, like part-time jobs.

But coming to events has its perks. Those who supported the first-ever orientation received a glimpse of the services offered to them through the information tables lining Gould St.

Sanjid Anik, vice president of programming and outreach, said that students might not know about these services in the short time that they are at Ryerson.

“We want to give them a very enhancing experience outside of the classroom. We want to give them the full scope of Ryerson,” he said.

CESAR students are entitled to services like general bursaries, TTC discounted metropasses, free online tax filing services, and free legal advice.

Anik said that CESAR will definitely hold orientations like this in the future, with hopes for heightening knowledge and excitement for events.

“We’ll try and continue this spirit from now on and be more inclusive with our students.”