Follow the leader

By Jacob Cohen

Calling all current and future leaders. Ryerson’s tri-mentoring program will be hosting the second annual Live2Lead Summit to give students the chance to discover and explore their unique leadership skills.

The tri-mentor program is an initiative aimed to facilitate student’s employment and leadership skills through support and training.

Nickeisha Mungal, the project manager on the Live2Lead planning committee, said she believes everybody has the potential to be a leader. Attending the summit just helps students discover those abilities.

“We want to showcase that everyone is a leader in their own way,” Mungal said. “Everyone has a different leadership style. We’re trying to cover every aspect of building that leader within.”

This year’s summit – themed “the evolution of leadership” – aims to build off last year’s Live2Lead conference. Throughout the three days, various workshops will be happening on campus to teach students how to utilize their leadership skills — both on and off campus.

“This year, the team’s vision was to incorporate a sense of community into our theme,” Shauna Marie Brown, the chair of the summit’s planning committee, said. “[It’s about] taking what you’ve learned as a leader, whether it be in the summit or through life experiences, and being able to bring that and share it with others.”

Each day of the summit will feature a different inner theme. Friday will be focused on first generation students (students who are the first in their family to go to university), Saturday features the main bulk of leadership skill development and Sunday concentrates on maintaining a sense of community.

Highlights of this year’s summit include various student and alumni speakers, workshops, and “The Rams Den.”

Modeled after the hit TV show Dragons Den, the Rams Den offers students a space to bring forth their ideas and receive feedback from experienced students, alumni and members from the Digital Media Zone.

The summit will take place at Ryerson from February 28 – March 2.