Photo: Sarah Krichel

Updated: Second fire near Ryerson campus in two days

In Campus News, NewsLeave a Comment

Reading Time: 2 minutes

By Noushin Ziafati

Toronto police said a 27-year-old man has been arrested in connection to a fire on Mutual Street on Monday afternoon and he has been charged with arson and trespass-related offences.

Fifty-one division is investigating whether Monday’s fire is connected to another fire that occurred in the same spot on Saturday night. 

Photo Courtesy: Jen Albotra

Toronto Fire Services responded to the scene of 189 Mutual St. near Gerrard and Jarvis Streets just after 2 p.m. on Monday for the one-alarm fire. 

They said the fire was set to a mattress in the basement of the house but it was quickly extinguished. 

Fire marshals received reports of an individual trapped in the building on the third floor, but found them on the main floor instead, and removed them from the premises. 

Toronto Paramedic Services responded to the scene as well, but no one was taken to hospital.

Third-year hospitality and tourism student Jen Albotra lives in an apartment building beside the incident and she said fire fighters broke down the fences around the house to get inside. 

She said on Saturday night there was a dumpster fire in the same spot around 8:30 p.m.

The wreckage of Saturday’s dumpster fire. Photo Courtesy: Jen Albotra

“There’s been a series of small fires in the area over the last two weeks but this investigation is still in the early stages so nothing is confirmed yet,” said Const. Rob Reid.

With files from Alanna Rizza