Person holding a phone with their emails open on the phone screen
PHOTO VIA CANVA

TMU reveals plans for email domain name change

By Edward Djan

Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) will be changing its email domain name over the winter break, the school announced. 

In an email sent to students, faculty and staff from TMU Computing and Communications Services (CCS) on Aug. 23, the university said it plans on transitioning emails to the new “@torontomu.ca” domain name during the mid-year winter break between Dec. 26, 2022, to Jan. 6, 2023.

The transition is happening during the break to “avoid disruptions to university activities,” the email reads. 

Nothing is required from users as this change occurs. The university also said emails sent to the “@ryerson.ca” domain name would continue to be sent to their intended recipient. 

The Eyeopener first reported last year of the school’s plans to redirect emails from the “@ryerson.ca” domain to the now new “@torontomu.ca” name even after the change.

“That’s a big part of what we are working on—managing the new domain name and still having old links and email addresses continue to work correctly,” said Brian Lesser, the university’s chief information officer last September. 

“At some point, everyone should be able to use a new email address, but mail must also continue to be delivered to their ‘@ryerson.ca’ address.”

While Lesser did not reveal at the time how long emails could be redirected, he said the redirection would continue for “a long time.” 

The university also did not specify in its announcement, but said it “will be monitoring the usage of Ryerson email addresses in the coming years after the switch and will reassess the need to continue delivering emails sent to ‘@ryerson​.ca’ addresses.”

The school also recommended that users tell senders outside the university about the domain name change.

According to the university, Google Workspace’s core apps such as Gmail, Drive and Calendar can be accessed normally without any changes.

The university also cautioned that any third-party applications using the old domain name may be impacted by the change since the school does not “provide direct support for these apps.”

While the university said no change or action is required from users during the switch, personalized customizations such as email filters won’t automatically update. This means emails filtered using the “@ryerson.ca” domain won’t continue to be screened once it switches to “@torontomu.ca”, unless a user’s settings is updated to reflect the name change. 

A full list of what customizations and third-party apps that may be affected by the domain name change is available on the school’s website.