Murder affects Rye women

By Lori Fazari

Many Ryerson women who take the subway are uneasy about riding the rocket after a 23-year-old woman was killed at Dundas station last Friday. Charlene Minkowski, of Mississauga, was randomly pushed off the subway platform by a man who was a stranger to her as she waited for the southbound Yonge train at 11:30 a.m.

A block south of Ryerson, the Dundas station turnstiles are familiar to thousands of commuting students.

But since the subway shoving, many Ryerson women who commute are worried who might be lurking behind them the next time they stand behind the platform’s yellow line.

Natalie Blake, 20, a second-year social work student, is concerned because a lot of women on campus use that station and fears it could happen her or someone she knows.

“I’ve been telling all my friends, ‘please be careful when you travel on the subway,’” said Blake.

Ryerson’s Women’s Centre coordinator, Daljeet Kaur, urges females to be “more aware of (their) surroundings and take extra precautions,” such as standing at the back of the subway platform, against the wall.

“I just don’t feel safe,” said Maricella Amato, 21, who commutes from Richmond hill to Ryerson.

Some women remain unaffected by Minkowski’s tragic death.

Student Thuy Nguyen travels from Mississauga daily but said the incident hasn’t affected her. “I’m not scared, it’s just a random act.”

Herbert Cheong, 41, charged with first-degree murder, has been remanded in custody and will appear in court on Oct. 16.

Det. Bryce Evans, head of the Metro police investigation, said Minkowski’s death was unpreventable.

“The young lady that is deceased wasn’t a girl he was following or stalking. She was just at the wrong place at the wrong time,” he said.