Sports

Sweet home equals four hoop wins

By Eli Shupack

It was payback time at Kerr Hall Gym for Ryerson’s men’s basketball team.

Any boy did they do some whuppin’ as the Rams avenged season-opening losses at Concordia and McGill with a pair of lopsided home-court victories last weekend.

Ryerson has extended their winning streak to a season-high four games and moved into a three-way tie for third place in the OUA Eat Division with Queen’s and U of T.

Rams’ point guard Brian Smith led the team with 22 points Friday night in a 72-45 win over McGill. His scoring touch continued Saturday as he led the team with 17 points and nine assists in their 86-67 victory over Concordia. Carl Harper collected 13 rebounds over the weekend to remain one of CIAU’s top-ten rebounders.

“We’re on a pretty good roll right now. Our defence has been there all year and we’ve got some chemistry going on offence,” said Ryerson coach Terry Haggerty.

“Some of it is development, some of it is getting the monkey off our back. Everybody can now lighten up a little bit [and just play].”

The coming weekend will be a touch test for the Rams as they get ready to play the division’s top two teams, Laurentian and York.

But if Ryerson is going to secure a spot for the playoffs they will have to win on the road — a task they have not been able to accomplish so far this year.

Ryerson’s six game home-stand ends with a game on Feb. 6 against Laurentian and one the following day versus York. After that the Rams will play five of their last six league games on the road.