Sports

The drought is over

By Thien Huynh

Women’s basketball coach Sandra Pothier hopes her team doesn’t get a case of the jitters as they prepare for their first OUA playoff appearance in six years.

The Ryerson Lady Rams captured the final playoff spot with two wins over Carleton and Ottawa last Friday and Saturday. The women beat Carleton 74-44 and followed with a win over Ottawa, 60-51. The games were a must win for the Rams as they were only one game up on York for fourth place in the OUA East.

“I wasn’t really worried about York. We were ahead of them all year long and we had some critical victories at the end of the season,” said Pothier, who’s in her sixth year as head coach of the women’s basketball team.

York made a strong push for the playoffs with the return of star player Karen Jackson but the Ryerson women kept their cool and kept winning games.

Pothier believes her team is peaking at just the right time, but she hopes they can keep their composure and focus in their playoff game against the number one team in the OUA West, Western.

“I hope the team does not get too nervous. It’s their first time in the playoffs and the jitters can take over sometimes.”

Some fans were nervous about the Rams playoff chances after a three point loss to Queen’s in their final home game Feb. 20.

The team plays their playoff game against Western at Laurentian this Friday at 1 p.m. If they are able to upset Western they will play the winner of the game between U of T and McMaster for a spot in the CIAU basketball championships.