Wounded Rams can rest

By Sean Fitz-Gerald

For the first time in seven-and-a-half months, the Rams will return from a road trip and not have to worry about a gruelling practice.

Instead, many players will have to ice, stretch, and even have surgery on their bruised and battered bodies.

“Right now I’m exhausted and sore,” Rams forward Jan-Michael Nation said after his team was eliminated last Saturday afternoon.

Nation pulled his groin in what was Ryerson’s second-last regular season game and playoff-clinching win over the York Yeomen. He played through the playoffs in constant pain.

Nation isn’t the only Ram feeling sore after the ream’s 39-game season. Second-year centre Sasha Ivankovic played the entire season with a nagging ankle injury he sustained last summer in a three-on-three basketball tournament.

And he’s added several new items to his list of boo-boos.

“I’ve taken quite a banging,” Ivankovic said. “I’m going to see a specialist and I’m probably going to need surgery on both my shoulders.”

Rams guard and OUA East rookie of the year Ben Gorham played all five playoff games while battling with the flu. After the division win against Carleton, Gorham emerged from the dressing room with two bags of ice for the tendonitis in his right knee.

Despite his injuries, Gorham isn’t ready to take it easy.

“I don’t want to stop playing,” he said. “It’s easy to say, ‘I can’t wait for this to end,’ but after your last game you really don’t want your season to end.”