School appeals for building funds

By Kevin Ritchie 

Ryerson wants $39.6 million from the Tory government to erect new buildings on campus.

The money will come from the SuperBuild Growth Fund, which has $742- million this year to offer post secondary institutions for new buildings. This will prepare colleges and universities for the double cohort, when schools will see an influx of students of grade 12 and OAC students graduating together.

“Our proposals respond to the need to expand and enhance our facilities in the face of rising demand for a Ryerson education,” Ryerson president Claude Lajeunesse said in a press release. The money would go toward a centre for computing and engineering and a centre for graphic communications management.

“The capacity for classes at the moment is very limited,” said Peter Ryff, assistant chair for electrical engineering.

He says the program in is need of large classrooms that can hold up to 200 students. Ryff thinks it will take three years to build the facilities. The 22,000 square-metre computer and engineering centre would be built on the parking lot at church and Gould streets across from the Rogers Communication Centre.

The building expected to cost $65 million, would allow for 2,400 new students at Ryerson. It would house labs and classrooms for students in electrical and computer engineering, applied computer science and aerospace engineering.

Another building for GCM students would be located on Church Street south of the interior design building. The 11.86 million building is expected to house 400 new GCM students.

Lajeunesse said private funding for the proposals is expected to reach $24.9 million.

The university together with George brown college, is working on a third proposal for SuperBuild money, Lajeunesse added at Monday’s Ryerson board of governors meeting.