Students puke over politics

By Lauren Jelicic

Common sense would generally tell you not to mix corn flakes, bagels, bananas orange juice and milk together. But fourth-year image arts students Evan Jones, Alan Cherneski and Tina Byun are breaking the rules.

Last Thursday these Ryerson students organized their self-titled “Projectile Vomiting Day,” held in the Image Arts building. The day was part of a comedic film they have been working on since October for their final fourth-year project.

“We’re trying new things, vomiting is definitely new,” says Byun, the producer of the film. She stops to see that director Evan Jones has caught the attention of a friend who agrees to chew up and spit out the morning mixture.

“Ready…go!” Jones says. Film student Caitlin Nicholls spits out chunks of cereal mixed with OJ on cue.

“That was awesome! But you puked on my shoe!” Jones says. He says the film, called The Joke Heard Around the World, is about “the destruction of society, tenants and structures.” His partners, Alan Cherneski and Tina Byun say the film is very unique.

“We’re trying new and different things,” Jones says. “It’s mostly for self amusement but it’s new.”

Jones’ previous films were of a more dramatic nature and reflected his life at the time. He explained that last year was a harsh and stressful one.

“Things in my life were hard to deal with, and that showed in my work,” he says. But this is not the case with The Joke Heard Around the World, which focuses on the controversial but often humorous world of politics.

Cherneski, Jones’ partner, says the story evolved from world disruption to a complete utopian society.

“It’s a ‘mockumentary.’ It’s meant to make people laugh,” Cherneski says. “There’s nothing serious about it.”

The Joke Heard Around the World is one of the biggest projects Jones and his crew have worked on. They have been shooting since November and have had more than 50 actors involved. The film cost them roughly $1,500 and has been partially funded by grants and scholarships.

“We’re finished about 70 per cent of it now,” Jones says. “But the vomiting scenes were one of the last to do.”

All three students agree the best part about making a film is that it’s a fun way to expressing personal creativity. And if you have the reflexes it takes to fake a good vomit, you’ve got a lot going for you.