WHITE WALL REVIEWED

By Brian Liu

By the time students read this, Ryerson will have hopefully increased its lit-cred. The White Wall Review- Ryerson’s annual literary journal, filled with poems, short stories, and photography hit newsstands this week, nestled among copies of the Malahat Review and The Believer.

“The White Wall Review was intended to establish Ryerson’s presence in literary circles,” says Professor Jonathan Rollins. “Every year, there’s a lot of student writing, and also some from more established writers.”

Started in 1976, this year marks the 31st issue of the White Wall Review. The journal is made possible by funding through the Palin Foundation and Oakham House Society, the organization that funds Ryerson’s feminist mag, Mclungs’s.

Rollins joins Dennis Denisoff, and Anne-Marie Lee-Loy on the editorial board. They share the task of selecting around 20 works from the more than hundred that are submitted from around the world.

Despite the competition, Students are encouraged to submit their masterpieces.

“Get involved, send us your work,” Rollins says, “We’re also happy to see visual work, not just written.” Submissions for next year’s edition are due by April.

In addition to publishing the White Wall, the Ryerson Literary society also holds annual contests in writing, including the White Wall/G. Raymond Chang Prize.

Submission guidelines can be found online at the White Wall website, Ryerson.ca/wwr, or from the White Wall editorial board.