RAMSS UPGRADE COMPLICATES FALL CLASS DROP

By Adam Vrankulj

Students busy with essays and final projects are scrambling to drop courses before the Nov. 21 cut off date. But from Nov. 7-18, students who need to drop a course will have to undergo a “five-step paper-based course drop process” instead of just clicking a mouse because of the system switchover to the new RAMSS.

Monica Wolanski, a third-year architecture student, is stressed because she had to drop her class manually and will have to wait to see if it actually dropped.

“It was horrible. I was freaking out. I had to go to the office and, of course, I didn’t know any of the information. And Ryerson’s not really good with [administrative] stuff. So I’m kind of nervous.”

According to Registrar Keith Alnwick, November is the best time of the year for the switchover to minimize the impact. “You don’t want to cut over in the middle of an admissions cycle. Same is true for grade and promotion standings,” said Alnwick.

On Nov. 17, the new RAMSS will be available to faculty and staff. On Nov. 18, fourth-year undergraduate, graduate and Chang students will be able to access it first, followed by the rest later in the day.

One of the new features shows faculty and staff exactly what students see on their own pages. Alnwick said this will help communication.

Mahsa Moumenzageh, a chemical engineering student, saw a preview of the new RAMSS and said the system looks complicated.

Alexandra Jones, a first-year business student said the new set-up probably won’t fix the confusing system of choosing classes.

But Alnwick said the new RAMSS will solve enrolment problems by using a web shopping cart system. Still, Alnwick said class selection will largely remain the same. “The system is not going to change the world.”