NOT JUST FOR THANKSGIVING

In Arts & Life /

BY MICHAEL DUNCAN

If that Thanksgiving feast didn’t satisfy your cravings, then Smoke’s Poutinerie has it covered. Think about that whole meal but combined into one glorious helping of poutine.

This concoction is pure fatty indulgence, but you can only buy it over Thanksgiving weekend. Luckily, we’ve got the recipe so you can recreate that bloated feeling at home anytime.

1. Slow roast the turkey in the oven (conventional method).

2. Prepare the vegetarian stuffing, (excludes sausage meat) with traditional ingredients such as onions, garlic, sage, seasoning, dried currants, raisins, and sour cherries. Also include diced green apples, caramelized onions, fresh parsley, turkey stock and S & P to taste.

3. Double blanche Yukon Gold potatoes at 300F for 5 minutes, then cool them. Deep-fry your fries at 350F for 2-3 minutes, salt, pat dry and toss them to remove any excess oil (100 per cent trans fat-free canola oil).

4. Carefully temper the cheese curds at just the right temperature If they are too warm, the milk fat starts to dissolve. They’ll cool down the rest of the dish and lack the taste and squeaky texture characteristic of fresh curds.

5. Assemble the ingredients as follows: fries, curds, gravy, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, peas and a drizzle of gravy on top (avoiding the cranberry sauce).

“It’s not rocket science, but paying attention to detail, using premium ingredients, and putting your heart into the job are the key elements,” said Glenn Mori, manager of Smoke’s Poutinerie.

If you want to include more gravy in your diet, or need some comfort food after a bad day, poutine is your best bet. The closest Smoke’s Poutinerie to campus is at 203 Dundas St. East.