MEDICAL RESPONSES DOUBLE ON CAMPUS

BY CORY WRIGHT

Medical responses at Ryerson have doubled in the past four years.

In 2004, the number was 140 responses, before ballooning up to 294 last year.

The trend continues this year. September concluded with 63 responses, roughly two a day. The high numbers in September have been attributed to several reasons.

“Orientation and kids living away from home are big factors,” said Imre Juurlink, crime analysis and communication specialist. “And the study load is less.”

Juurlink notes that orientation has become rowdier the last few years, as new orientation games such as tackle duck-duck-goose have been introduced.

“When we noticed the increase, we wrote a proposal to start a medical unit and get additional medical training,” said Juurlink.

She said the school responded with more funding and supplies.

Julia Lewis, director of the centre for environmental health, safety and security, has a different take.

While alcohol and tackling may account for a number of medical calls. Lewis believes that the increased awareness of the medical team is a reason for the increase.

“With greater awareness of a medical response team, I would expect more people to call,” said Lewis.

Lewis added that many recent calls have also been about concerns over flu-like symptoms during this time of pandemic hysteria.

“There’s concern, but we have an amazing team and are fully equipped to deal with anything,” said Lewis.

Students may feel more secure knowing that an able medical team is in close proximity.

“With all the students and faculty at Ryerson, it just makes a lot of sense,” said second-year geography student Iain Anderson.