Summer job hunt 2010

Engineering, Architecture and Science

Future engineers interested in making the world a better place can put their skills to use by participating in Engineers Without Borders’ Junior Fellowship Program. The program gives volunteers the chance to travel overseas and assist with different development projects. For more information, contact the Ryerson chapter of Engineers Without Borders at ryerson@ewb.ca.

For other opportunities, Altera, a multi-billion dollar manufacturing company, takes on top electrical and computer engineering students from across the country as interns at their Toronto location.

Business Management

The Ontario government runs a program called Summer Company, which grants students aged 15 to 19 up to $3,000 to start and run their own summer business. Past businesses have ranged from summer dance academies to daycares, so if your idea is legal and your business plan is legit, you could be running your own company by June. Applications are available from www.entrepreneurship.com, and the deadline for applications is May 6.

If you’d rather not start your own business, there are always local companies looking for business savvy students to help them turn their products into profits. Otesha, an organization that aims to mobilize Canadians to create social change, is looking for a innovative Promotions Manager this summer to oversee the sale and promotion of their newest book.

Arts

If you have an interest in politics, government and trivial facts, you might want to consider applying to the Government of Canada’s Parliamentary Guide Program.

Guides travel to Ottawa from May 1 to Labour Day and spend their days welcoming visitors, leading tours. This job is restricted to full-time, bilingual students. History and travel buffs many also be interested in applying to work with Veterans Affairs Canada as student guides at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial. Guides inform visitors about our nation’s military accomplishments and warn youth about the horrors of war. And the best part of all? You’d be working in France.

Community Services

Summer is the perfect time to put all of the benevolent skills you learned in school to practice. An easy way to do this is by volunteering at one of the many community centres throughout the city. Supporting Our Youth (SOY), a Toronto organization that offers programming for LGBT youth, is always looking for volunteers to help run their groups, as well as to help with events. Touchstone Youth Centre, a shelter for homeless youth in East York also needs volunteers. You can always try helping out abroad. Nursing students who volunteer with Projects Abroad can help with physical therapy placements in Bolivia, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Mexico, Nepal and Sri Lanka for one to three months. Who says you can’t work on your tan while doing good.

Communication & Design

Students looking for experience in print journalism or photography can look to Toronto weeklies like NOW Magazine or Eye Weekly. Fashion design students can help churn out samples for local labels, like House of Spy. Student performers have a chance to actually get paid this summer at Canada’s Wonderland. They’re looking for actors, singers and dancers to dazzle and entertain (auditions are March 14).