The cheat sheet of eat

By Rob Moysey
Sports Editor

Going to Ryerson and living in Toronto can bring a whole city’s worth of culinary temptations to wide-eyed froshies. But if you aren’t careful, it can also make you wide-bellied too. While a frosh week full of burger bingeing and soft drink slurping won’t kill you, a semester’s worth just might. Here’s a few tips on how to ward off the dreaded freshman 15.

1. The Golden Rule: eat with your head, not with your heart. The reasons why that Big Mac is so delicious are the same reasons why you shouldn’t indulge too often.

2. Make your own meals. Sensible homemade meals will go a long way to keeping your body trim and your wallet fat. Stock up on foods you can keep in dry storage or freeze.

3. Eat moderate proportions. A hearty meal should satisfy you, not immobilize you. This is especially true of snacks, which should only take the edge off your hunger and last you until your next meal. An energy bar or a piece of fruit should suffice.

4. Stick to foods like chicken, turkey, spinach, broccoli, yogurt, and potatoes that increase brain activity by forcing your body to break down complex carbohydrates. Fatty foods and artificial flavouring cause you to crash afterwards, making you sluggish and irritable.

5. Choose whole wheat pastas and grain breads any chance you get. They’re no Wonderbread, but it’s a small price to pay for the added nourishment.

6. When buying meats, choose cuts like tenderloin that are less fatty and cut off any excess fat you can. You won’t lose any flavour in the process.

7. When cooking foods, use the oven or the skillet over the deep fryer. This will cut down on unnecessary saturated fats.

8. Always remember that dark green vegetables are your best friends. They contain the most antioxidants and vitamins, so be sure to sauté a few to compliment your main dish.

9. Use spices like basil, rosemary, thyme, and even chili powder to add extra flavor without adding excess carbohydrates or salt.

10. In the battle of healthy diets, tomato sauce beats cream sauce every time. Tomato sauces are rich in vitamins and good for your heart. Cream sauces, not so much.