Photo of the director of Athletics Ivan Joseph
The director of Athletics Ivan Joseph.

New rec software costs $80,000

By Mariana Ionova
News Editor

Ryerson purchased new recreation software for $80,000 that will allow students to register for services online.

The university purchased Class Active, recreation software developed by Active Network, Inc. last week to help its recreation and athletics department manage its operations virtually. Students will now be able to sign up for classes, book equipment and pay feels online.

“Instead of having the long line where you’re waiting, you’ll be able to register online and be able to facilitate the quality of service to our students,” Joseph said. “And I think that’s really important.”

Although the $80,000 price tag of the software is relatively steep, Joseph said it will be worth it in the long run because it would benefit students and save money.

“I think we’ll make that back up in operations,” he said. “It’ll probably pay for itself in less than two years.

The purchase of the new software will also help smooth our operation of the Maple Leaf Gardens, according to Ryerson president Sheldon Levy.

“It’s going to provide a lot of support when the programming increases because of Maple Leaf Gardens,” said Levy, adding that it’s a “fantastic improvement” to the way the department operates.

While the system will reduce the number of staff, Joseph assures that it will not lead to loss of jobs. Instead, full-time positions that are vacant will not be filled but will be replaced with more student jobs.

“A couple of our full-time staff have moved on to higher-paying gigs or fancier jobs and, in anticipation of Class, we have not replaced them,” he said.

“We have been able to now hire more students to fill the front desk and all that sort of stuff because of Class [Active].”

Ryerson expects to implement the recreation system on Jan. 1, 2011. But the university is lagging behind 10 other Ontario universities, which already use the software.

“It should have been done a long time ago,” said Joseph, noting that schools like The University of Ottawa, The University of Guelph and York University already use the software.

Photo: Lauren Strapagiel