Recipe: Squash & Cinnamon Butter

By guest blogger Stephanie Maris

Let’s talk squash. Every fall your local Metro is suddenly overflowing with the classic pumpkin and all of its relatives, including the knobby, striped variety that is definitely the crazy uncle of the family.

While we’re all intimately familiar with the workings of a pumpkin, having grown adept at carving and decorating them for October 31, the world of squash is an unexplored haven for students looking for quick, nutritious meals that won’t break into their budgets or cut into their free time.

The acorn squash gets its name from the nut it resembles.  It’s rich in vitamins A and C, as well as potassium, and omega-3 fatty acids. But its best feature is its low price. Two of these gourds can set you back as little as $5.

Roasted Acorn Squash with Cinnamon Butter

Ingredients

• 2 medium acorn squash (shoot for two that are similar in size for equal cook time.)
  • 2 tbsp salted butter
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • Cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt (to taste)

Method

1. Give your squash a quick wash, dry thoroughly, and then cut in half through the middle.
  2. Using a spoon, clean the squash as you would a Halloween pumpkin; remove seeds and stringy flesh:
  3. Place the squash halves facedown in a casserole dish in an oven pre-heated to 375F. Roast for 30 minutes.
  4. Remove squash from oven, flip them over so that the flesh is facing upwards and the squash resembles a bowl.
  5. Place your butter and seasonings inside one half of each squash, using a spoon to distribute it equally.
  6. Place both halves of your squash together, sealing in the richness of the butter and the spices, and return the squash to the oven.
  7. Bake for 20 additional minutes, or until tender.

Photo by Stephanie Maris

1. Emma

Oh my god. That looks so good. Am making one post-haste.

2. Allyssia

Trying this out tonight. I got an acorn squash at Metro for 69 cents earlier today 🙂