Chang School student gets ‘F’-ed

In NewsLeave a Comment

Reading Time: 2 minutes

By Lee Richardson
News Editor

A former Chang School student may not be able to apply to college in time for the course’s January start because of a failed grade.

The fail grade in question shouldn’t be there to begin with, according to Bruna Sanches. She never failed any of the required coursework because she dropped the class.

“I did not do any assignments for this course and it was not more than eight weeks in,” said Sanches. “That’s what we have, eight weeks to drop the course.”

A week after she dropped the History of Photography class through RAMSS, she was re-enrolled in the same class, according to Sanches, who didn’t notice the discrepancy at the time.

Sanches is talking with Human Resources to try to get the grade off her transcript, which could take some time since the university has to research into how it could have happened.

“I’m probably not even going to be able to start in January 2011, it’ll be probably September because of this,” said Sanches, referring to an Independent Digital Photography course at Seneca she wants to apply for.

“I don’t want it to show as failed, because it’s not like I went to the course and I tried and I failed, I just dropped the course,” said Sanches. “It would have been different if I failed, I’d say ‘oh well I failed, sorry, I’m not very good at history.’”

The assistant to Ken Scullion of enrollment services, who did not want to give her name, said the best course of action for Sanches, (who dropped the course in 2008 and has been working full-time to save for her enrollment at Seneca), would be to file an appeal with the university.

The appeal process begins at the department level, and if still standing is submitted to the student’s program department or school, or the Chang School for Continuing Education courses.

If the student wants to further appeal the decision of the department or school, they must approach the Dean at the faculty level within ten days. If no decision has been reached after this point, students can appeal to the Senate if they don’t agree with the faculty level decision.

However, according to Scullion’s assistant, it may be too late for Sanches to file an appeal.

“I don’t have any proof,” said Sanches. “I never even cared before because I didn’t expect it to show.”

Photo: Tim Alamenciak

Leave a Comment