Today’s recipe, Raw Tacos, comes from one of my favourite foodie blogs: My New Roots. A good friend introduced me to this blog and it has been one of my main recipe sources for delicious vegan food.
Instead of ground beef this recipe calls for walnuts which are a great source of omega-3s. In fact, only ¼ cup gets you about 95% of your daily requirements! And rather than using traditional corn tortillas as the wrapper we’ll use lettuce, which can be anything from romaine or large leaf to savoy cabbage or kale.
These tacos are really easy to make but they do require a food processor or blender. And the taste is right on par with grocery store ground beef seasoning but without all the sodium or mystery ingredients.
Enjoy! And leave your comments below!
Adapted from My New Roots
Skill level: easy
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: none
Equipment: Food processor, blender or magic bullet
- Savoy Cabbage, this is my favourite, however you can use any lettuce leaf that is structured enough to wrap – for example: romaine, kale, collard
- Avocado, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp. ground chipotle pepper (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
Cashew Sauce – AKA Sour Cream
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 5 Tbsp. water (approx.)
Raw Salsa (optional – you can just purchase salsa from the grocery store if you prefer)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ each of red and orange pepper, chopped fine
- ½ red onion, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Taco Mix: Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse to mix. Careful not to mix too long or you will end up with a walnut paste. You want to combine the ingredients but still have small pieces of walnuts visible.
2. Cashew Sauce: Place all ingredients into blender except water, and blend adding water in 1 tablespoon at a time. You are aiming for a smooth consistency and will need to be able to drizzle the sauce over your tacos.
3. Salsa: Whisk garlic, lime juice, honey and olive oil in a large bowl. Add in chopped veggies and cilantro to the dressing bowl and toss to combine. Allow flavours to develop for 10 minutes.
4. Put together your wraps! On a large cabbage leaf, spread some of the taco mix and drizzle with cashew sauce. Top with avocado, extra cilantro, or lemon/lime juice. Roll and enjoy!