All Multimedia News Video

Election season comes to campus

RSU ELECTIONS INFO: You can vote Feb. 3-5 from 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at any of the following locations: Engineering building lobby, Library building first and second floor, Sally Horsefall Eaton Centre ground floor, Image Arts building lobby, TRSM seventh and eighth floor, Rogers Communication Centre lobby, Kerr Hall east first floor.

Deni Verklan breaks down this year’s candidates to prep you for the big vote:

The job

President: The RSU president sets all major policies and goals for the academic year. Their job involves overlooking all other executives, operating larger projects and occupying the office closest to the door.

The candidates

Rajean Hoilett: If elected, Rajean Hoilett would repurpose student study space and introduce a free lunch program. The free lunch program would include volunteers putting together meals and serving them to the Ryerson student community for no charge. The third-year social work student is currently the RSU vice-president of equity and has been involved in student groups throughout his years at Ryerson.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPsR6g_fuQ[/youtube]

Roble Mohamed: Weekly or bi-weekly press conferences between students and the Ryerson Students’ Union is one of the major initiatives RSU presidential candidate Roble Mohamed wants to implement if elected. Other initiatives include more transparency in the student government and finding ways to voice where student tuition fees are going. This is Mohamed’s second time running in the election.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61lP65d5S8[/youtube]

John Scott: If elected, Ryerson Students’ Union presidential candidate John Scott plans to separate Ryerson University from Canada to become a sovereign nation. The second-year journalism sudent said he plans to look into mining and drilling rights beneath the school, adopt a better apocalyptic defence strategy and use research funding for bionic arms and bionic legs. With these plans of “general debauchery,” Scott said that he wants to “represent all the students [who] really don’t give a shit about student elections.”

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmm1bsTmB0[/youtube]

The job

VP Equity: The vice-president of equity is directly in charge of campaigns that promote a more inclusive campus. Their day-to-day responsibilities pertain to eliminating racism, homophobia, sexism, transphobia and ableism on campus. They also manage the equity and sustainability committee.

The candidate

Pascale Diverlus:  Social Justice is a responsibility that Pascale Diverlus, a second-year journalism student, would like to promote. If elected, Diverlus would like to use her experiences from working for the Centre for Women and Trans People and as the director of events for United Black Students Ryerson to extend equity initiatives on campus. Pascale is the younger sister of former RSU president Rodney Diverlus, who held the position of vice-president of equity in 2012.

The job

VP Education: The vice-president of education directly supervises campaigns and events about education and tuition fees. Responsibilities of the VP of education were cut with the implementation of the VP of equity.

The candidate

Jesse Root: If elected, lobbying the federal and provincial governments for lower tuition fees would be a “priority” for Jesse Root. “Tuition fees in Ontario are the highest in the country,” said the immigration and settlement studies MA student. Root also said that student study space is of concern, especially in multidisciplinary programs. He plans to prioritize study space for graduate students and repurpose study space for all students if elected.

The job

VP Operations: The vice-president of operations manages all RSU services offered to students, such as the Used Book Room and discount TTC Metropasses. They also set all the budgets for the RSU and all other student groups on campus.

The candidate

Dora Adobea: Dora Adobea wants to find ways to discount GTA transit costs and introduce a peer-to-peer walk safe for students if elected. Although there is the option to walk with Ryerson security as far as Yonge-Dundas Square, Adobea said the peer-to-peer walk safe program would allow students to walk in pairs until they arrive at their destination. Adobea is a fourth-year finance student and the director of finance for the United Black Students Ryerson.

The job

VP Student Life and Events: The vice-president of student life and events handles all major events held by the RSU and tries to get students involved on campus. Events include the Culture Jam Showcase and pep rallies at sporting events.

The candidate

Saphi Subendran: Saphi Subendran would like to build a stronger Ryerson community through the creation of more student events while increasing resources and support for student groups. If elected, the fifth-year business technology management student plans to have more events with the students’ athletic council and would like to bring interactive events seen at other campuses to Ryerson.