Ryerson ranks number one undergrad research university in Canada

By Elena Gritzan

Ryerson is this year’s number one undergraduate research university in Canada, according to Research Infosource. This is the first time that Ryerson has earned the top spot on the yearly list.

Each university’s position is calculated based on measures of research funding, publication output and research impact. Universities are separated into categories, the same used by Maclean’s in their yearly university rankings, to compete against universities of similar size. Ryerson is a member of the undergraduate category, which is made up of “small universities with relatively few graduate programs.”

“The ranking by Research Infosource recognizes our progress and growth,” said Wendy Cukier, vice-president research and innovation. “This will go a long way to attract new industry, community organizations and government research partners as well as increase our reputation as Canada’s leading innovation university.”

The rankings help show how schools measure up to other institutions, said Research Infosource CEO Ron Freedman, as well as how their performance has been changing over time.

Ryerson hovered around the 15th spot on the undergraduate list in the early 2000s and was ranked number two from 2010-2012.

Research income — the amount of external money brought in to fund research from governmental and other sources — went up 12.9 per cent in the time period studied. In contrast, the average increase for universities in Ontario was 5.4 per cent and the trend for Canada on whole was only 1.1 per cent. Research income has gone up another 26 per cent over the past year, according to data from the Council of Ontario Finance Officers.

Ryerson’s investment in supporting research seems to be paying off. “We’re changing the culture slowly to become more research intensive,” said Michael Kolios, associate dean of research and graduate studies in the Faculty of Science.

“The quality and motivation and hard work of our faculty, their mentors and research assistants are the foundation,” Cukier said. Researchers can build on that foundation with training and services from Cukier’s office for help with applying for grants and connecting to potential funders.