The eight types of SLC studiers

By Maggie Macintosh

*An asterisk (*) will indicate which floors let you book rooms to study and meet in

Study spots in the Student Learning Centre (SLC) are hard to come by during weekdays, so you can’t always be picky when it comes to the themed floors. Another student could snatch an empty desk, maybe the only one in the entire building (often the case during midterm season) in a second.

On the rare occasion you do have a choice—perhaps a weekday night or weekend when countless commuters are on a subway ride home or sleeping in the suburbs—there are eight electric levels to choose from.

Floor One:

The Starbucks Studiers

Ideal for those who want to cop a caffeine refill or study snack, the first-floor has a lounge area beside the SLC Starbucks with leather seats, tall chairs and community tables. Being on the main floor, there’s always lots of activity, so it’s best for students who don’t mind overhearing chatter in the Starbucks line-up or the elevators’ constant dings.

Floor Two:

The Grounded Studiers

This floor connects the SLC and the library via a cement walkway. Bake sales tend to happen on this connecting floor. Humble studiers, who can’t find a seat on the chairs embedded in the stairs, can be found on the cold floor outside the library, where it’s surprisingly comfortable.

Floor Three:

The Mysterious Studiers

What happens on this floor most of the time, nobody really knows. Does anyone really even study here?

Mysterious sessions and portfolio showcases happen inside the event space and there are about five random desks, so it’s unlikely you’ll ever find a spot. Best to pass on this floor altogether unless you like a study space that’s unpredictable and potentially near an event you can procrastinate at.

*Floor Four:

The Healthy Studiers:

Need to brush up on math or practice English? There’s likely a helping hand on floor four. This green-coloured floor is for healthy studiers who are proactive and open to asking for help when they need it. (Students can access learning supports of all sorts, both individual and group sessions). *Floor Five:

The Study Buddy Studiers

One of the flashiest looking floors, the fiery fifth-floor was made for students who prefer to study with a desk and don’t mind others murmuring, snacking on Tim Hortons (although that’s often unavoidable no matter what floor you’re on) or blasting Drake (welcome to Ryerson). There are rows on rows of desks that have small privacy “walls” that can be removed, perfect for study buddy sessions.

*Floor Six: The Not-Actually-Studying Studiers

Also known as “The Beach,” this space is used by students who say they’re going to “study” but end up beatboxing, breakdancing or chatting instead. It’s all about socializing. If you can nap despite noise, there are also some bean bag chairs and weird human-shaped chairs you can lounge on. You might want to check them out if you have breaks between classes, an 8 a.m. or a long commute home to bed.

*Floor Seven:

The Silent Studiers

The only thing you’ll hear on the quiet floor is the footsteps of students walking in and out. Please don’t stay on this floor if you’re going to talk or prepare for the wrath of silent studiers. They will stand up to you and it’ll be uncomfortable for everyone. Students who like complete silence, this is your haven away from those who feel it necessary to blast Drake anywhere and everywhere on campus. There’s also a moderate-sized room designated for masters students on this floor (don’t bother sneaking in, it’s only accessible via masters OneCard).

Floor Eight:

The Social Studiers

The highest floor is appropriately named “The Sky.” There’s a ton of sunlight throughout the day so it’s a bright place to study when it’s dreary. Students mostly go to this floor to study with friends and meet up with group project members because of the round tables and study rooms with a whiteboard wall.

The collaborative rooms, which are on a bunch of lower levels too, can be booked via the Ryersonmobile app.

1. Kieran Ramnarine

Worth noting that the 3rd floor actually has a lot of desks and rarely are they all used. 4 of them are standing desks, and usually quiet. Yes the occasional event is going on but the Sandbox actually does a really good job usually about keeping quiet.
    If you’re looking for a study space with open computers (powerful ones too) and potentially some music or cool people working on hands on projects the DME is also on the third floor and almost always has desk space.