All Campus News News Student Politics

Ryerson news briefs of the week…with a twist!

By Sarah Tomlinson, Madi Wong and Emma Sandri

RSU files police report

The Ryerson Students’ Union (RSU) has filed a report with the Toronto Police Service (TPS), following allegations of financial mismanagement last year. 

In January 2019, The Eyeopener obtained photos of financial statements showing food, clothing, alcohol and club purchases—some upwards of $2,000—with a credit card under the former RSU president’s name.

The RSU later hired PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC) to conduct a forensic audit to investigate allegations of “internal financial mismanagement,” according to a statement posted to Facebook. With the audit complete, the RSU said they filed a police report on Monday. 

“We look forward to the Toronto Police Service becoming an important partner in our organization’s effort toward delivering justice to the students we represent,” wrote the union. 

The forensic audit and a report on the audit will be presented at the RSU’s upcoming Semi-Annual General Meeting on Feb. 3. 

O’Keefe House to become student wellness centre

Ryerson president Mohamed Lachemi said that the university is currently planning to transform the O’Keefe House into a student wellness centre. 

Located at the corner of Gould and Bond Streets, the O’Keefe House served as a student residence building at Ryerson for more than 54 years.

However, the university announced that the residence would no longer be accepting applicants and would instead be closing back  in February 2018.

In an emailed statement to The Eyeopener, Lachemi said that a feasibility study was completed earlier this year.

“[The university has] the aim of renovating and redeveloping the O’Keefe House site as a student and wellness centre,” he stated. 

“Any renovation to this property would be subject to an approvals process, and obtaining a funding source, which has not yet been identified,” Lachemi said.  

He added that more details would be shared as the project progresses. 

More to come.

Rye academic plan looking to be approved this month

Ryerson president Mohamed Lachemi said the university’s academic plan will be presented to the Senate for approval next week.

The university’s last five-year academic plan, titled “Our Time to Lead,” identified priorities needed to improve on learning and teaching within university from 2014-19. 

The university has been revising a new academic plan for the years 2020-25 since last year. 

“Members of the Office of the Provost and the University Planning Office consulted with students, faculty and staff to better understand community goals for the years ahead,” Lachemi said in an emailed statement to The Eyeopener

According to Ryerson Today, the plan has identified multiple themes including: inclusive student experiences, amplifying Indigenous initiatives and cultivating relationships with local, national and global communities.

Ryerson Students’ Union president Vanessa Henry said that the union is currently working on a student appeal as part of the university’s academic plan.