The Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC) located at the Maple Leaf Gardens. Photo taken from street view.
Photo: Laura Dalton

A guide to using Ryerson’s fitness facilities

By Ilyas Hussein

Ryerson students will have priority access to fitness centres at the university this fall.

The Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC) reopened July 26 with a 20 per cent capacity limit in its fitness area “to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience” under the current COVID-19 guidelines. 

In a statement released by the university, it was also announced Ryerson’s other fitness facility, the Recreation and Athletic Centre (RAC), would be open in late-August. However, no further information on the RAC’s reopening has been released. 

“All of our reopening decisions are based on two priorities: First and foremost, the safety of our students, members and staff,” reads an update on the university’s website.

Bookings and reservations can be made online using the Ryerson Recreation website and students are limited to one 90-minute booking per day. Masks will also be required while exercising. 

Students must also self-screen 24-hours prior to entering the facilities via the RyersonSafe app or website and provide proof of their completed screening before arriving.

“While our initial reopening is focused on students, we are hopeful we will be able to welcome our members back in late-August,” the update stated. 

A new participation waiver will also have to be completed prior to a student’s OneCard being activated to allow access to the facilities. It can be completed through Ryerson Recreation’s website. 

The university urges students to complete this process prior to arrival.

“Don’t be surprised if you haven’t completed your waiver and your OneCard doesn’t work at the RAC and MAC turnstiles.” 

It was announced Aug. 13 that faculty, students and staff coming to campus will have to disclose their vaccination status effective Sept. 7. This will be applied to the MAC and RAC starting this fall, but it isn’t clear if students will have to provide proof of their vaccination status yet.

“Those who have not been fully vaccinated or do not want to disclose their vaccination status will be required to be tested [for COVID-19] in order to come to campus,” said Ryerson president Mohamed Lachemi in a statement posted Aug. 13.

After finishing their workout, students will have to take their stench home with them as showers are currently unavailable at the MAC Fitness Centre. Activities like intramurals and drop-in sports are also not up and running at this time.

Great consideration is being given to risk management and activities are being selected and modified to meet the evolving public health requirements,” the university’s website reads. 

Reservations will be mandatory for all activities at the MAC as long as capacity restrictions are still in place.

With files from Thea Gribilas