The York Lions in red jerseys celebrate a goal
PHOTO: MARIO RUSSO

Special teams prove vital as Rams fall to Lions

By Mitchell Fox

Special teams were significant as the Rams women’s hockey team lost 5-2 against the York Lions on Wednesday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC). 

The Rams gave up four powerplay goals and a shorthanded goal as they came short of the season sweep of the Lions—a loss that could be significant heading into the final weekend of the regular season. 

Rams head coach Lisa Haley said athough the team was “pretty happy” with their play at even strength, they will watch “a lot of video tonight” to make adjustments to their special teams play.

“[York] ran the show on the special teams side of it,” said Haley. “That’s the way they won the game today.” 

Though the Rams got a powerplay goal of their own on a first-period off a deflection from forward Emily Baxter, Haley said adjustments need to be made there too.

“I don’t think our powerplay was any better than our [penalty kill] today,” she said.

The loss comes in the third-to-last game of the regular season for the Rams, who play a back-to-back against the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks Friday and Saturday.

“It’s almost like it’s a two game series here,” Haley said. “If one team can pull up both wins, I guess that’s going to wrap up who finishes third and who finishes fourth.”

Haley said finishing fourth would mean the Rams have to play a play-in game next Wednesday, which Haley said she hopes the team can avoid.

Despite the Rams being up big on the shot clock early, York opened the scoring early when captain Courtney Gardiner found the top corner with a shorthanded wrist shot. 

The Rams tied it up less than a minute later with Baxter’s powerplay goal. But, York’s Madison Davey would add a powerplay tally of her own. Savannah Bouzide grabbed her fourth goal of the season with 27 seconds left in the period to send the game to intermission tied at two apiece.

The second period was the turning point of the game, as the Lions managed to score twice and keep the Rams at bay.

After the Rams took a penalty to put the Lions on a five-on-three powerplay, Julia Cuccia managed to lift one over the glove of Rams goalie Rachel Seeley while falling forward. 

After the Lions added another goal on the subsequent five-on-four, Haley called a timeout  to “settle down and play the game five on five.” 

Despite the shots being 21-13 for the Rams at the time, the Lions were up 4-2 and weren’t showing any signs of slowing down.

York would come up strong in the third period. Lions goaltender Julianna Thomson shut down the Rams offence with a 33 save performance, while Gardiner provided two goals and Sydney Paulson brought three assists.

Haley said it is important to get points out of every game at this stage of the season, especially with playoff seeding hanging in the balance. 

“We feel like we stole a point against Nipissing to make that late rally. And it was a tough grind to get the three points against Queen’s. And so you know, we gave a few back here today,” she said.

Haley said the games against Ontario Tech this weekend are going to be critical as the two teams haven’t played yet this season. 

“It seems like all of the games that got paused involved Ontario Tech, so we really don’t know what to expect other than what we’ve seen on video so far,” said Haley. “But you know, they’re a dangerous team.”

UP NEXT: The Rams head to Oshawa Ont., to meet the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks on March 4. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.