RyeSAC taps into Molson

By Dave Wightman

Ryerson’s student council got $7,500 from Molson Breweries for use of a modified logo promoting Ryerson.

The logo “Ryerson Rocks” appears on the front of this year’s student handbook, which is the first time RyeSAC has used a corporate logo on the cover.  The decision has angered some students who have gone to RyeSAC’s office to complain.

Marija Jakotic, a fourth-year early childhood education student, said she noticed the corporate promo when she got her agenda.  “A company that manufactures beer should not be allowed to advertise their product on our student handbook,” said Jakotic.

But Jason Power, RyeSAC’s v.p. administration, said the sponsorship was necessary to help offset publishing costs.

“I understand students will be upset about it but they don’t know the facts.  Everything we do costs money.”

Power, who works for Molson Breweries as a sales and promotion representative, wanted an easily identifiable image for the handbook.  Last year, the word “I AM Ryerson” were printed on RyeSAC T-shirts were sold to students for $15.  Molson didn’t give RyeSAC any money for the advertisement, but printed the T-shirts for free.

Power wanted a similar promo for this year, but wanted the logo printed on the student handbook as well.

“We did this without asking [Molson],” said Power, who approached the company after the logo was designed.  “I didn’t know how they would feel about it.  They said, ‘OK, how much do you want for it?’  That put a smile on my face.”

The $7,500 Molson gave to RyeSAC helped pay the $33,000 cost of publishing the books, Power said.

Like Power, RyeSAC president David Steele, has a few qualms about using corporate deals to promote RyeSAC on campus.

“A couple students felt it was too corporate.  But the reality of it is that it offsets costs and allows us to offer [the handbook] for free,” he said.

Both Steele and Power believe there is a big difference between RyeSAC’s deal with Molson and Ryerson’s negotiations to give a cola company a monopoly on campus.

Power said if students have a problem with the handbook’s corporate image, they can come into RyeSAC and have their say.  “Every student has an opinion on it.  But no student wanted to get involved.”

With files from Yaseen Hemeda