More arrests in Skinner case

By Angela Hennessy and Ramisha Farooq

Toronto police have made three more arrests in connection with the 2009 death of 27-year-old Ryerson graduate Christopher Skinner.

Up to two more arrests could be made. Three men have been charged with various offences.

Nichoals Swaby, 23, of Toronto, was arrested for assault causing bodily harm. Anthony Samuel, 25, of Toronto, was arrested Monday for conspiracy to commit the indictable offence of aggravated assault and obstructing police. And Jamaal Phillips Bond, 23, was arrested for assault causing bodily harm and obstruction of police.

“There were others in the vehicle so there is a possibility of more arrests,” said police spokesperson Wendy Drummond.

Last week the first arrest in the case was made of 23-yearold Augustin Caruso who was charged with second-degree murder for allegedly being the driver of the 2004 black Ford Explorer that ran Skinner over.

It is believed there were four males and two females in the SUV at the time of the incident, meaning that there could be up to more arrests made.

Skinner was first assaulted on the street and then run over by the SUV after leaving a celebration with his family in Toronto’s entertainment district on Oct. 18, 2009.

Drummond told The Eyeopener that investigators have had close contact with the Skinner family and that these arrests have been bittersweet for them. Drummond also said the investigation is ongoing.

“It is believed there were other people in the vehicle and there is potential for more charges,” said Drummond Caruso, who was 19 at the time of the incident, was accompanied by five others in the SUV.

According to Gallant, two more arrests are expected to be made. The SUV has been seized and remains in police custody.

After watching surveillance tapes, police believe Skinner’s hand accidentally touched the accused’s SUV as he was trying to hail a cab on the corner of Victoria and Adelaide Streets.

Police believe this may have provoked the attack that killed Skinner. After Skinner supposedly touched the SUV, the vehicle’s occupants exited and knocked him to the ground, then punched and kicked him. They got back into the SUV and deliberately ran him over, then sped away east down Adelaide Street.

Skinner was pronounced dead at 3 a.m. the day of the incident.

The family, along with police, had offered a $150,000 reward to anyone who came forward with further information.

The investigation is ongoing.